Saturday, March 1, 2014

How many poets can you name? The beginning of Poet of the Month

This idea hit me one day while working my day job in the children's department of the local library. School budgets are getting cut and teachers are really struggling to teach kids just the basics so other supposedly less important things like art, music and great literature are getting pushed out. It made me wonder how many poets kids today would even be able to name. I started asking family and friends the same question and was surprised by how few people could think of. I too could only think of five or six off the top of my head and I work in a library! I decided something needed to be done so I asked my supervisor if I could put up a display featuring a different poet ever month. I'll be sharing those displays every month here on my blog and I hope it'll inspire you to take a few extra minutes each month to explore some poetry. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment