Thursday, March 6, 2014

Book of the week

   Working at the local library has given me opportunity to discover some great books. I thought I might share with you my discovery each Friday so you'll be all set for some great weekend reading. 

     This week I have to recommend Counterculture Through the Ages: From Abraham to Acid House By Ken Goffman and Dan Joy.  I just happened to pick it up at work today. It has a fascinating beginning starting with Prometheus being a counterculture icon for breaking from the expected and stealing fire from the gods. I also never considered Abraham from the Bible being a counterculture revolutionary because he broke from the norm of the day and followed a monotheism god, turning his back on idols and choosing to live like a nomad. The book also make the point that Abraham's descendants the Jews have continued this counterculture tradition by living apart from the mainstream. There are many others considered, including the more obvious Thoreau and the Beats, but who knew the troubadours of the dark ages were so counterculture? I certainly didn't. I hope you get the chance to pick up this great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment